Thursday, September 6, 2007

North to Alaska

Before I get to Alaska, allow me to digress by talking about my first date with Marty when we were in high school. Well, not the first "official" date, but the first time we met. You see, I had spotted Marty coming into a party with his best friend, Dave. Dave was Laurie's boyfriend who was my best friend. I asked Laurie to introduce me because I thought he was cute. (he still is!)

So one night, Dave brought Marty over and we all drove around talking. Marty mentioned that he dreamed of making a trip to Alaska one day. (Our first real date was a Billy Graham Crusade ... another story. Laurie and Dave broke up, married other people and we are all grandparents.)

Here it is, after 34 years of marriage; traveling to over 40 countries and Marty and I have never been to Alaska. That is why I had a slight hesitation when the opportunity came up to go to Juneau, Alaska for a video project with author, Margaret Feinberg. How could I go to Alaska without Marty, when it has been his dream? Pretty easily with Marty's encouragement ... and it was a work trip. But even with the attraction of travel, hiking around glaciers, kayaking, helicopter ride, landing on a glacier, wilderness, creative collaboration, hangin' out with Margaret, Leif and the crew - the biggest appeal was doing this with Brian. One of my favorite memories of the trip ... Brian and I cooking dinner for everyone.



We kayaked across the lake to Mendenhall Glacier, hiked up the side of the glacier for a fantastic location to shoot the introduction to Margaret's book, The Organic God.

What a great way to explore and show the content of The Organic God than to show it with the beauty of Alaska - where Margaret wrote the book.

We're standing on about 800-1000 feet of ice on Herbert Glacier.


Long days, but lots of fun just doing life together.


For the whole slide show, just click on the picture below to use controls and see the captions. (Double click on the slide show to see the pictures individually.)


I'm ready to return ... with Marty, of course.