Tuesday, July 29, 2008

It IS a Happy Anniversary

On July 29, 1973, that's thirty five years ago today, Marty and I got married on a Sunday afternoon in Ohio. I had just turned 17 and Marty had been 18 less than a month. We were just two young kids, very much in love, happily ready to commit a lifetime together even though we probably didn't know all that meant. School in Virgina, moving back to Ohio, starting a ministry as business, settling in Texas, two great sons; Brian and Scott, who married wonderful wives; Julie and Holley, two perfect grandchildren and all the ups and downs, the struggles and joys that go into building relationship, family, business and life.

We looked so young ... we were so young! I made my wedding dress, sewing on the last of the buttons that morning. And Marty purchased his bow tie earlier that day at Sears to go with the green suit. Getting married may have scared our parents, but we weren't scared at all. We were ready for the adventure. It's still such a happy memory because it's a great life with Marty.

Here are the top 10 reasons why I love Marty.

10. From the first that we met, Marty let me know his faith was important and he cared enough to make sure mine was also. His faith shows up in every area of his life, even in what he chose as his career.

9. Marty has always been adventurous, loves to travel and try new things. After Australia, New Zealand and France in the last year, we're planning the next adventure ... maybe Uganda and Tanzania.

8. He is generous with everything he is and has. He is willing to give and share what he has and what he knows.

7. Marty is willing to try what I'm interested in. For example, I was that teenage girl who always wanted a horse. When I mentioned that dream, he jumped right in and we've enjoyed owning and riding horses. He always encourages me to grow and follow my dreams.

6. Marty is a visionary who is also in the details. He is a great leader in our home and at Bluefish TV. But he's also willing and capable to do any task to get things done.

5. Marty is a great dad and it was a joy to parent Brian and Scott with him. Family is always important to him and he shows by his time and energy that family is his priority.

4. He's the perfect Pops. I know he's a good Pops, but you can get an expert opinion from Abby & Grant. It shows in the joy and silliness he has when we're with them.

3. After 35 years, it seems that we know everything there is to know about each other. That is a comfort, but what keeps life exciting is that Marty fascinates me. His conversations are interesting. I love his mind.

2. Not only is he interesting, but he is interested. Marty really listens, involved when someone is speaking, paying attention to what matters.

1. The number one reason why I love Marty is because he loves me ... totally, completely, and just the way I am. I know because he makes sure he tells me a lot, but more because he shows me.

So, Happy Anniversary to us. Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings!

1 comment:

julie mosley said...

Happy Anniversary! Your marriage is an inspiration as well as great practical example to us! Here's to many more happy years together!
love
julie